Friday, April 22, 2011

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!

Just a little personal update and a recipe oops!

A few months ago, I started to notice some flashing lights in my left eye.  I finally (don't be like me and blow it off) went to the eye doc and was given a major 'you're getting old' wake up call...I had a tear in my retina of all things!  This usally can lead to a detached retina which causes you to go blind.  I was sent immediately to Provo to have Laser surgery, which is a pretty routine surgery, but not for special ol' me!   I've had some crazy complications.  For the past 4 weeks I've been walking around looking like Jackie O wearing big sunglasses all day which says a lot, because I hate wearing sunglasses!  I haven't been able to read or handle any light, especially the computer :( were talking crazy pain. The Doc was finally able to figure out that I have severe inflammation in the back of my eye, he figured the laser seared it during the surgery, ouch!  He put me on some medication and within 24 hours I feel almost back to normal!  So, this is why I haven't been around these parts lately.  I have so many posts that I am excited to share.  But the reason for re-posting this favorite recipe is, I just noticed the sugar was missing in the syrup!  And it's been missing a long time, I originally posted this in April 2010!!  We've been living with my parents for almost a year!  CRAZY!! We are hoping our 5th offer on a short sale goes through VERY soon.  I really miss not having my own kitchen!

This is seriously the best french toast ever--crispy, thick, and not soggy!  OKAY, I'm done now!

Favorite Crispy French Toast

1/2 cup milk
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1 loaf of Texas Toast (thick sliced bread)
I always cut the slices in half.

The stuff that makes it crunchy:

In a gallon size ziploc add 4 cups Rice Krisipies, and 2 tsp cinnamon. Seal and crush with a rolling pin, rolling over until you get fine crumbs. Place in wide bowl.

In a blender mix eggs milk, vanilla and salt. Pour into a wide bowl.

Dip a slice of bread into egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Then place in Rice Krispie mixture coating all sides well.

Grease griddle well with butter. When you turn over to cook the other side, butter again or it won't be as crispy.

Yogurt Syrup
This is very similar to Buttermilk syrup, but I don't always have it on hand. So what I'm saying is, you could use buttermilk in place of the yogurt if that's what you've got!

1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
3 T corn syrup
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cinnamon-optional, but this makes it even more divine!

Bring everything except vanilla to a boil (stirring constantly) in sauce pan for 3-4  minutes.  Add vanilla. Let cool.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL! WHO EVER THINKS TO PUT SNAP CRACKLE POP IN THEIR FRENCH TOAST? NOW I WILL HAVE ZANA MAKE THIS FOR ME TOMORROW BECAUSE SHE WILL OWE ME FOR KEEPING THOMAS ASLEEP AGAIN :)

Zana said...

whatever!

she's makin' a list of everything she's wanted since you started this blog. That means I have to be bakerella and barefoot contessa all in one weekend!!!

Lori said...

I have got to try that. I feel really sad I never got to see you while you were out this way, what is up with that?

something good said...

Lori-I'm still bitter about my visit, I've never been that sick...boohoo! Glad you had some fun with Tam...no wait, I'm still bitter! :)

Holly said...

Why have I not had this blog in my life before now?! I can't wait to try all your amazing/beautiful creations. Life IS sweet, isn't?

Anonymous said...

So Im getting old if i can't remember writing the comment a year ago! So much has changed and yet has it really?? :) Still haven't made this recipe maybe before school ends?

Jen said...

Okay I can't find your email. Laurel Reshetar is coming for a visit. She is coming June 22-25. She is staying at my home and would love for you to come up. I would LOVE that too. She is calling Jill. Fun idea. Let me know what you think.