Wednesday, November 25, 2009

NOT YOUR TYPICAL GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE!

Zana called me this morning wanting this recipe. She will be in her lovely kitchen all day long, sweating over the stove, with flour and sugar flying through the air like pixie dust. Christmas music will be playing in the back ground, while her 4 girls will be decorating gingerbread houses and saying sweet nothings such as..."Mother, you are so bootiful with flour on your face!" Baby Thomas will be in his swing, perfectly content with a full belly of extra sweet milk (mom needs to find her energy somewhere)! And to top it off, the maid will be cleaning the kitchen during Zana's mid-day nap! We all know cooking and baking can really wipe you out!

That was my fun little day dream of Zana's life. You can call her if you want the REAL story! But I've gotta admit, it worked, I'm ready to get off my buns and get busy in the kitchen-Thanks Zana!

Favorite Holiday Green Bean Casserole

3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tb butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 Tb flour
1 cup sour cream
4 cups french cut green beans-Canned or frozen
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 Tb melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. In a skillet melt 2 Tb butter add onions and cook until onions are soft. Add flour (whisking) salt, sugar, and pepper. until combined. Stir in sour cream and green beans. Transfer to a baking dish. Mix crumbs and melted butter and evenly sprinkle over dish.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Zana said...

This is milla talking & I love this post b/c it makes my mommy look so productive in the kitchen! In fact she really is in the kitchen right now making apple pie just for me!!! i love you aunt jjjody :-}

Lori said...

I'm going to try this, but sub out the bread crumbs for my favorite...french onion things...do you think that will be ok?

something good said...

I can never get enough onions! I say the more the merrier!

Anonymous said...

this recipe looks great but i HATE green beans even suzy was calling arkansa fir a green bean recip that was totally different than yours..funny. loves ya