Saturday, November 7, 2009

GRIN AND BEAR IT!


This was taken a few weeks after we moved here, and not much has changed in a year...the kids are still driving us and each other crazy! It was pointed out to us soon after Bryn was born that we had unintentionally made a statement in regards to our life and parenting...

Bryn and Garrett=Grin and Bear it!

This couldn't be more true, especially in the teenage years!! Don't get me wrong, they're still just as sweet and adorable as the day they were born, but that's only when they're asleep! No really, Garrett is still cracking us up, and Bryn thankfully is still a ray of sunshine around here, but she's only 11. I hope we have the same girl in 3 years! Who am I kidding, I have 4 sisters (although Zana has always been perfect)!

One of the many things I love about my kiddos is how they're always so grateful when I cook and bake. I love to make their favorite food and watch them turn to puddy in my hands!

They both share the same love for mashed potatoes, but I wouldn't make them as much because I don't really feel like gaining a pound after I have a bite or two. Thankfully I came across this recipe a few years ago and have been making it ever since. They never knew when I switched the recipe to the lower fat one, and they still comment that I make the best mashed potatoes! Let's get to smashing!


Low-fat Smashed Potatoes (As Zana's girls would say!)
Slightly tweaked from Cooks Illustrated

5 medium russet potatoes, washed,peeled, and cut into small pieces
3/4 cup milk--NOT nonfat!
2 Tb melted butter
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
Ground pepper
Salt
Lawry's Garlic salt (optional)
Parsley flakes

In a large pot add potatoes and water to an inch above potatoes. Add 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until tender and potato edges are soft and flaking off.

Drain and dump potatoes into your mixing bowl attached with a beater hook. Pulse a few times until they start to incorporate. Add milk, butter and pulse a more times until the lumps start to smooth out. Add sour cream and pulse to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. I omit the salt if I use garlic salt and then sprinkle a little parsley. Be sure not to over mix or the potatoes will turn gummy.

Serve right away while it's hot to keep that perfect smooth texture!

4 comments:

Lori said...

I just made the your pumpkin pancakes with the cinnamon syrup and I am in heaven....soooo yummy!

Zana said...

What?! She got a comment in before me!!! Best food journal post ever...the picture makes your teenager look like a cupcake with a cherry on top...sweet & easy going :)

Unknown said...

Bryn and Garrett are adorable.

I was blog hopping and landed here. I hope you will return the visit and browse my blog, too.

Anonymous said...

i have not been here for awhile and im loving the new look to your sight..very east coaster :) impressive, like the way you talked and then led into a recipe...hummm whats going on out there? who are you hanging with? why now? is this what it looks like to turn 38? well then BRING IT ON BABY!!!!!