Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Apple Cider Doughnuts

WAIT! DON'T MAKE THESE...YET! I MADE THEM THIS WEEKEND AND SOMETHING JUST WASN'T RIGHT, THEY WEREN'T AS TO DIE FOR AS I REMEMBER:( I'VE GOT TO MESS AROUND WITH IT A BIT. I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AS SOON AS I CAN STAND TO STINK UP MY KTICHEN AGAIN WITH FRYING OIL!!!


I found this recipe 10 years ago in a family fun magazine - I lost it about 10 years ago. Normally I wouldn't mind, because I don't care too much for doughnuts, but this one makes me reconsider! While I was gathering all my millions of recipes from around the house the other week, It revealed itself to me! Oh happy day, the doughnuts are coming back to my hips to stay!
Michelle this ones for you! Just in time for conference weekend!

2 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. salt
2 eggs
1/3 c. apple cider
4 T. butter, melted
oil for frying - I use peanut oil

Glaze
whisk together:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
3 T. apple cider

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and cider. Stir in the melted butter. Make a well in the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients.
Turn the soft dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 1/2 inch round. Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot over med heat. Then use a doughnut cutter to form rings. Once the oil begins to bubble, carefully lower doughnut into oil. Once the doughnuts begin to rise to the surface and start to brown, flip them. Remove after 2 to 3 min. Let drain on paper towels. Spoon glaze over and enjoy!
Makes 12 doughnuts.

1 comment:

Zana said...

Sounds perfect for this weekend! Keep 'em coming!