Saturday, October 4, 2008

Oven-baked Brown Rice

Tastes better, better texture, if you know what I mean.

1 1/2 c brown rice
2 1/3 c water
1 T olive oil
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spread rice in 8 in square glass baking dish.
In a med. saucepan bring water and oil to a boil over high heat; once boiling stir in salt and pour water over rice. Cover baking dish with a double layer of foil. Bake for 1 hour, until tender.
Fluff rice with a fork.

To double recipe use a glass 13-by 9 inch dish. Same baking time.
Cooks Illustrated ~

3 comments:

Zana said...

Say this really fast...

you're freakin' me out!

You look all professional now that you've changed your format. I made your apple cobbler recipe that I got from you while we were living in Spokane. James was giddy (truly giddy!) b/c the smell of that cobbler made him sing out...Fall Is In The House!

Cheree said...

Jody, (this is Michelle's sister Cheree)--I love your blog! I'm so glad to have a friend in the recipe blogging business :-). One request, and it's totally selfish--will you be doing labels so I can search for your recipes by things like "Main Dish, Side Dish, Mexican, etc.?"

something good said...

Hi Cheree! Thank you! I actually was inspired to do this because of your site! Michelle was just telling me today how you improved the carnita recipe - When I made it, I bought the pork bone-in, huge mistake! Maybe I'll try it again...your way!
The labeling request is just what I've been thinking. I just feel so proud when I get a recipe on that I get alittle lazy after! So it's a comin!!!
I'll be bloggin you soon! :o)